Monday, May 21, 2012

Allergic to Myself?

This is Sam, ready to race for 155 miles at Almanzo on Saturday. She had her new Barking Bear Bagworks framebag. She had brand new tires (because I was so busy riding that I didn't notice I'd worn her tires bald until the Sunday before). She was tuned up and ready to go.

Unfortunately Sam cannot ride on her own.

I'm not big on excuses. If I choose to race, it's my responsibility to get to the start line healthy and prepared. I usually do well with the prepared part.  I don't always do well with the healthy part. I need to work on that. The fact of the matter is, I don't always see the big picture all that well.  I have so many things I want to do and I actually have the TIME to do them most days. That's a luxury most people don't have. I'm aware of this so I just keep taking advantage of that time to do more and more.

Unfortunately having the time to do everything doesn't always work out as well as I think it will because my body can't always keep up with my ambition. In short, I think my body is allergic to my spirit. Or something like that.

Now, if only Benadryl could fix that problem, I'd be able to fit all the fun stuff in.  Until then, I'll just have to learn to rest more so I can come back and actually start this race next year!

2 comments:

  1. Bummer Lisa but its all good. You are a machine and love your take on this

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the grand scheme of things, this allergy of yours is actually so rare, so infrequently encountered that it is practically undiagnosed, even in above-average humans.

    I'm happy to report that you are so far above average and mediocre, that you can now claim (and name) this particular allergy. Forevermore, if my body and spirit get misaligned- I'm calling it Lisa-itis. :)

    You're a badass, girl. You really, really are. Remember, even this allergy is seasonal. Winds of change will blow, gentle (and fierce) rains will fall and the air will clear. Eventually.

    Sam will ride again. With you as jockey.

    Hint: the midnight sun air in the Interior of Alaska is a known cure for most mysterious ailments. You could venture North, if all else fails...

    ReplyDelete