Monday, June 17, 2013

Lessons from the Dirty B


It's good luck if your race number matches the race distance, right?
When Martin asked me shortly after Alexander if I wanted to do the Westside Dirty Benjamin, I figured what the hell, why not? Since the cross bike was still pretty much destroyed from the last adventure, I decided this would be a good time to try a long gravel ride on Chili Uno. Big E set her up with a taller gear and some faster tires and she was good to go.  (At some point I should probably step in and admit I can change my own tires, but this is kinda like working the "I just rode 389 miles" thing-if you've got a good thing going why ruin it?)

As usual, I learned a few things over the course of the day.....

Top 7 Things I Learned at the Dirty B

7. Salami sandwiches are still one of the best long ride fuels ever. Who wouldn't like a little salt and fat in the middle of a race?

6. If "BRAAPPP" and some arrows are painted on the pavement, you should probably get up some speed for the muddy section coming up. (Too bad I didn't ask Big E what BRAAPPP meant before the race.)

5. If you see a large storm brewing in front of you, you're probably not going to be able to ride around it, but the power of positive thinking will at least keep you going until you're dead smack in the middle of it. As usual, the best way out is always through.

4. The heavy rain will wash off all evidence that you put your foot down in the mud in that BRAAPP section.

3. Singlespeeding is awesome, especially when the weather turns nasty because you don't have to worry that the horrible sound on your bike is coming from the derailleurs.

2. Drafting is boring. If I can have it easy and stare at someone's wheel for 107 miles or work harder and see the scenery, I'll worker harder every time. Then I can check out turtles, monitor the approaching storm, scout for a good place to pee....

Which leads us to the #1 thing I learned at the Dirty B

1. If you plan to stop and and pee in the bushes, make sure you have Deep Woods Off on your ass. It's June. It's Minnesota. The mosquitoes only need 5 seconds to do some serious damage.

1 comment:

  1. The lesson I would add is - wear your 2nd favorite shoes or worse so, when you put your foot down in said puddle, the horrible stink left behind won't bother you so much! ;) Awesome job! It was great to see you out there!

    ReplyDelete