Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dropping F-Bombs (heehee)

I see this everyday at my new job when I walk from my classroom to my office. I'd like to say all of us who work there are inspired by these great quotes on the wall, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. After I see this, I turn right down the hallway and enter my office. Unfortunately, there is no inspirational quote on the door. There probably once was. I'm pretty sure someone probably took it down with the grand intention of replacing it with a sign that said, "Enter at your own risk."

The girls in the office probably ate that person for lunch before she had the chance.

I'm still not entirely used to the constant f-bombs, let alone the minute by minute update as to who is "hated" today. Quite frankly, I'm proud of this. I think my Pop would be proud too to know that he raised a daughter who doesn't really grasp of the concept of hate, let alone feel it on a daily basis.

That said, after a month at the new job I can sum up what I know about my state of mind in the midst of chaos and negativity:

It goes on.

It took a couple of weeks, but then I figured it out.  I have a choice there, like I do everywhere else. I can let the hate bring me down or I can go right on being me. I can either choose to let their negativity wear off on me and end up learning their hate and misery or I can go on the way I'm happy being. And so....

I go on.

Of course, at least once a day I go right on down to someone else's office and raid her candy dish. Hey- I didn't say I had this perfected yet. It's a work in progress, but I'm actually enjoying the learning experience. I've discovered I actually have thicker skin than I ever gave myself credit for. I have a feeling that discovery will come in handy one day. I've also discovered that I still can't seriously drop an F-bomb. (Because according to my office mates it doesn't count if I giggle or immediately apologize.)  Pop, I hope that makes you proud too....

No comments:

Post a Comment